Thursday, September 25, 2008

40 days until Judgment Day

I guess, first I should say that I'm not claiming to be a political authority on this Presidential election or any election for that matter. I like to consider myself a bit of an amateur, political junkie. I've been following this race for about a year and a half, and now since we're getting down to the wire, I've decided to join the fray of avid bloggers and frequent posts as we all follow the McCain/Palin and Obama/Biden tickets.

Got bailout?

I can't believe that there are talks about a $700 billion bailout for Wall Street at the expense of working Americans. This economy is in the worst shape it's ever been in my lifetime and the lifetimes of the two previous generations: home foreclosures, highest unemployment rate in two decades, the continued devaluation of the U.S. dollar, etc. If there was ever a time for a real change, you'd think it would be now. I honestly can't understand how this election in contention. I mean, seriously, one candidate proposes the same policies as the current "dead duck" President. The other candidate advocates for major changes to the current administration's policies. I am not able to comprehend these so-called undecided voters either. How can you be undecided in this election? HOW? What are ou waiting for? What more do you need to know about these candidates? What would be the deal breaker? I don't really care which side you are on (well, yes I do), but would you please just pick your guy and get off the fence!?

Another thing, this special White House meeting today settled absolutely nothing today. President Bush, the two Presidential candidates, and the Congressional Leadership met today in the Cabinet Room in the W.H. but no agreement was met. I wonder why. Secretary of the Treasury, Henry Paulson, proposed a faulty, short-sighted plan that would not be reviewable. Essentially, Hanky P. wants a "do it now, ask questions later, but oh wait you can't hahahaha". But seriously, what values are we promoting to Americans when you can mess up, cost millions of Americans jobs, homes, and investments, and then be bailed out by the Federal Government? I think it's teaching the value that it's good to be rich and powerful.

I don't have the solution for this crisis, but I sure as heck wouldn't agree to hand over $700 billion without maximum oversight and promises to help the countless Americans who have lost their homes, jobs, and money.

On a lighter note, Sarah Palin would not approve of some of my favorite books: To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter, and Slaughterhouse-Five.

No comments: